Monday, September 21, 2015

The Spirit is the key! 9/14/15



Dearest family and friends!

These letters get harder and harder to write for some reason, maybe
it's because the weeks are just flying by! I will try and feel you in
on my week and the many miracles and things I learned this week. :)

Wednesday I was studying for a member we were going to see who has
recently started coming back to church, she is such an amazing lady!
The spirit led me to study about the Holy Ghost. In Preach My Gospel
it suggests looking up "earnest" in the Bible Dictionary, so I did and
it described it as the deposit paid by a buyer on entering into an
agreement for the purchase of anything. In Ephesians 1:14 talking
about the Holy Ghost says, "Which is the earnest of our inheritance
until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of
his glory." So what I got out of that is basically when we have the
Holy Ghost with us it's a promise that we will Have Eternal Life! What
an amazing promise.

Thursday we went and visited another awesome individual who told us
that she had never really felt the spirit before and she wasn't sure
that Heavenly Father loved her because of all the things that had
happened in her life. That morning we prayed and studied for her and
the only thing we got was To sing her a hymn and help her feel
loved....and so that's what we decided to do. I was a little skeptical
because typically a lesson plan involves more than that but I put my
trust in Heavenly Father and just prayed that we would be the
instruments to help her feel His love! So we got talking and Sister
Eddington asked her if we could sing her a hymn, she said sure, so we
sang Nearer My God To Thee and the spirit came immediately...after we
asked her what she expects the spirit to feel like. She said, "like a
warm Comfie hoodie" and then we asked her what she felt and she
started crying and said that that's what she had felt! She had felt it
as soon as we started singing too....wow! I was so blown away. The
spirit guided us in helping her to feel His love as we continued to
teach her...I was just so grateful to be apart of that. Heavenly
Father is so good...we are going to keep meeting with her!

Wednesday night we had gotten a referral from church headquarters so
we stopped by and gave her a Book of Mormon and taught her the
restoration and she agreed to be taught! Yahoooo! Well after we met
with her I had a feeling we needed to tract around her trailer but we
didn't have time so we decided we would when we came back to meet with
her on Saturday. So Saturday rolls around and we go to meet with her,
but she had to cancel because something had come up so we started
tracting...and we were having no luck but we felt like we should keep
going! Well we knocked on a trailer and a man comes out and we say the
usual door approach and he let us in! Don't worry his girlfriend was
home too. So we started talking to him and the man was just so
prepared! He said him and his girlfriend have been searching for a
church. So we sang him a hymn and taught Him about Heavenly Father and
his worth as a son of God. He told us that before we came he had a
toothache and before we left it was completely gone! Ha Miracles! So
he agreed to meet with Us on Tuesday...thank you Heavenly Father!
There are people prepared and we are going to find them. I'm so pumped
to be here in Bangor, it's such a special place!

Saturday night we met with our new investigators, who were introduced
to the church by their friends in the ward. It's a mom and her 2 sons,
one is 12 and the other 16. They have never been really introduced to
religion at all in their lives so it was a really different teaching
experience for me. My favorite part though was when we sang " I am A
Child of God" and we asked the 16 year old what he felt, he told us he
felt this tingly feeling in his arms! Before we had asked him if he
believed in God and he said he didn't really know but it was just
amazing to explain to him that those feelings were from God and that
he actually was there! I'm so excited to keep teaching them, I've
really got to brush up on my teaching skills though, it's been really
good for me, I'm excited to learn more!

Well this week I learned that In order to be an instrument in Gods
hand I first,  have to trust Him which means I must trust that he
loves me unconditionally. Therefore, I can feel safe in giving my
heart to Him. After that happens, I must realize that my most
important responsibility in life is to bring others unto Christ. I
cannot do that without the spirit and I cannot have the spirit without
being obedient. I need not be afraid of making mistakes though because
that is why Heavenly Father sent Jesus Christ. I know and trust that
Heavenly Father loves me because He sent His son. Though the road may
be rough, we need not worry, because when we walk with Christ we truly
lack nothing. He makes up for our imperfections when we give all we
have to Him and his Gospel! I love being a missionary, I'm grateful
for this time Heavenly Father has given me to grow and learn and
become who he wants me to be! I'm grateful for the weaknesses and
challenges he has given me...those also show me that He loves me and
wants me to draw closer to him! I feel that I will stay here in Bangor
and just know that whatever I learn here will change me for the rest
of eternity! One more quote and then I'm out, Elder Richard G. Scott
said: “Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in
multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not
consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord
feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you
experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which
polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are
to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that
generally entails discomfort and pain. … This life is an experience in
profound trust--trust in Jesus Christ.”

I love you all and hope you have a great week feeled with the spirit!!! :)

Love, Sister Innes

No comments:

Post a Comment