Monday, December 28, 2015

<3 12/28/2015 (Sister Innes last letter:)

Hello! :)
Well, we finally got some snow last night. Maybe about 1/16 of an inch…but it is mighty cold today! I can’t believe this day has come though. It has gone way too fast for me! This week was filled with many “lasts” accompanied by lots of tears as the realization set in that soon this would all be over… I love being a missionary for my Savior, Jesus Christ.

I knocked my last door and the woman who answered was nothing short of rude to us…as I told her we were representatives of Jesus Christ she immediately slammed the door in my face. It’s kind of funny because the first door I knocked was slammed in my face too…you would think I would have gotten over the crying thing but needless to say I was crying as we left her house. But this time it wasn’t because she had shut the door on me, I could care less about that, but the fact that she had shut the door on Jesus Christ. As I pondered on what had just happened as we drove away my heart was filled with gratitude for all that He went through to do what He did. It made me think of this scriptures in John 15, “Remember the word I that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his Lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you.” I got a little teeny tiny glimpse of what Jesus went through for me, and I would do it again for Him.
 
We were referred by a member to a sweet 87 year old man who is suffering from cancer. The first time we met him I just instantly loved him. He has the innocence of a child and his love for Jesus Christ is so sweet. He asked us if Heavenly Father would think He was too old to be baptized, we told him that He would need to be baptized sooner or later so better to do it now! He said he would!!! :) He asked us if he would get to see Jesus Christ if he died before he came….and His eyes lit up as we told him, “Of Course!” He loves music so we sang a lot of hymns to him. The spirit was very strong in his hospital room...I’m grateful I got the chance to meet him before I left. When I think of Charles I think of this scripture: 3 Nephi 9:22 , “Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God.” He has such a childlike faith even though he is 87, I hope to be like that when I’m his age.

We had a lesson with a less-active who has recently agreed to work on getting back to church…so we taught him the first lesson. Oh my, tears were flowing as I shared the first vision. I KNOW that Joseph Smith truly saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ! I know it with all my heart. I love and honor Joseph Smith…serving at the Memorial has really strengthened my testimony of not only the restoration but specifically of Joseph Smith. I was privileged to bear my testimony to a family of members who came in to the memorial. As I did the spirit entered my heart and just filled me with so much love for Joseph Smith, I love Him and know that He was a man of God. He went through so many things to defend His beliefs and to stay true to His Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. His life is an example to me. I am grateful for what He did and His faith to press forward which has BLESSED my life immensely.

 I had the privilege of talking to another family who were nonmembers and taught them about the restoration of the priesthood, as I did he kept rubbing his arms and saying, “I’ve got the chills!” I told him that those chills was the spirit testifying to him that the things I was sharing with him were true! And he answered back, “I know!” So, guess who’s going to be meeting with missionaries? That man! And then, another lady came in and I just felt prompted to talk to her. I didn’t know what to say to her so I prayed that Heavenly Father to know what I should say to her. Her and her husband were the first to come in for the night and so I was reading the Book of Mormon as they walked in because I was really stressed and a little anxious so I went to the thing that always brings me peace  I was prompted to ask her if she had ever read the Book of Mormon before and she hadn’t so I introduced it to her and went on to tell her that I loved reading with it because I deal with anxiety and it helps me to feel peace when I read it….she then told me that she dealt with severe anxiety as well and she needed peace in her life and a new church! She agreed to read the book and to meet with missionaries…I know that Heavenly Father led me to her so that I could share that with her. And this is just a little bit of what this week has been filled with. I am so honored that Heavenly Father gave me the opportunity to be here. We had around 3,000 guests here at the memorial this week! I have seen so many miracles whether it be just singing a song for someone who needed it so much they were moved to tears or having a member bring a friend and being so excited because she accepted a Book of Mormon and is reading it! 

I just want to sing at the top of my lungs songs of praise and gratitude to my Heavenly Father. My heart is so full with gratitude for my mission. It has literally saved my life. I have been changed. I know that Heavenly Father loves me unconditionally. He will always love me. He wants me home and has given me the perfect plan to do that. I know that it is only in and through my Savior that I will ever be able to do that. I know He suffered for me personally and that through His atonement I can be forgiven of my sins and I can change and become the person who Heavenly Father wants me to be. I know that it is only by giving our will to Heavenly Father that we can become that person He wants us to be and knows we can be. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its fullness and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true, I know that it truly is the word of God and that as we read it brings a new found power and peace that nothing else can. I know that as we serve others and share the gospel we are blessed with an abundance of the spirit. I love this gospel…I will continue to share it for the rest of my life. Once a missionary, ALWAYS a missionary! 

“Members who share the gospel experience joy and have the spirit more abundantly. As we share the gospel, we appreciate how precious and meaningful it is to us, and we feel a greater love for God and others.” PMG Pg 84

Love to you all, I’ll see you soon! :)

Sister Innes



No comments:

Post a Comment