Monday, July 27, 2015

Covenants are of God 7/27/15

Hellooo!! :)

It has been a greeeeeat week! Aw, so many miracles.

We met with Sister Sanborn this week, she was looking at the church before we got here but had to take a little break and is now back in for the win! Really though, this lady is awesome :) We had asked her to read 3 Nephi 11 before we came but she read the wrong chapter so we read it with her and oh, I just love that chapter. As we were reading the verses where Jesus Christ came and allowed the people to feel his wounds we asked her how she would have felt if she was there. And she said I think I would be in shock but I would know it was him! And then we asked her if she thought it could happen today which was a perfect segway to the first vision. The spirit was so in control, it was amazing! We read through the first vision in Joseph Smith History and asked her if she knew it was true. She said well I don't know, but I guess I better find out! Me and Sister Hallam were able to bear our testimonies about the first vision and the restoration of the gospel and she has committed to pray to know if it is true! I know she will receive an answer. It's a big promise but Heavenly Father always keeps it when we do our part. 

We also had an amazing lesson with Brother Ishihara. We read through Alma 36 about the conversion story of Alma the younger. We talked about how when we repent that our pain will be replaced with true joy!! He told us that as he has been meeting with us that He has felt more happiness. He said I know who I am now, and it has changed me. The spirit was so strong as he told us that and more. But my heart was just bursting with joy! The gospel really does change people. I see more light in Him and more hope! Hope that he can change. We ended our lesson with an invitation to be baptized and he accepted!! He also came to church for the first time and the members just took in him and made him feel loved. It made me so happy! He is just awesome. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father allowed us to meet him and teach him. I've learned so much from him.

I was thinking alot about covenants this week....specifically why do we have to make them in order to have salvation. As I was pondering this morning the spirit helped me to understand it a little bit better. In the world we have different type of covenants, some written, some unwritten. So when you go to the store you know that you have to pay a certain amount of money to buy certain things. If you don't have the money then you cannot buy it right? Well its the same with Exaltation. There is a price set. I picture myself going to the checkout line and trying to buy a ticket to the Celestial Kingdom...and as the cashier tells me the price I realize that I don't have enough money....as I look at the cashier with tears in my eyes...I hear a voice say, "I've got it." I can choose to let Jesus Christ help me or I can reject his help. I realized that when we make covenants we are basically telling Jesus Christ, I need your help, I can't do this on my own! He has already paid the price and when we make covenants we allow him to help us. As we keep our covenants and repent when we mess up that is showing him our faith in Him and His atonement. Rejecting His help in all reality is a form of pride because we cannot do it on our own. As we humbly acknowledge him by making and keeping covenants we are able to truly access the power and the right to have eternal life!

I am so grateful to be a missionary...it has changed my life. I could never do this on my own and I am so grateful for the covenants I have made that give me access to the saving and enabling power of the atonement! I love my Savior and I know He loves me...and you. :)

Have a great day!!!

Love, Sister Innes





No comments:

Post a Comment